Sunday, September 26, 2010


On Friday 24th, we took a TransWA coach to Geraldton. It's a reasonably long trip, with stops in several small towns along the way.

When we got to Geraldton, we were met at the bus station by Laetitia's friend Kym and her daughter—and also, as it turned out, by two of my fellow teaching graduates from CHC. You see, as I had discovered just a few weeks earlier, one of my CHC friends who lives in Geraldton was, most serendipitously, to be married just when we were going to be there! Anyway, at the bus station, two of her bridesmaids were waiting as well (not actually for me, of course).

Kym took us to the caravan park where we had booked a cabin for our two-night stay, and then went off to collect her son from school. She actually lives just a short walk from the caravan park. Meanwhile, we took a stroll to see the Indian Ocean (which wasn't far, the caravan park is right on the beach).

Apparently kite-surfing is a popular hobby in Geraldton

When Kym came back, she took us around to see the sights of Geraldton, including the memorial at the top of the hill.

After watching the sun set beautifully over the water, we went to Kym's place for dinner (cooked by me) and a good chat. At the end of the evening, it was quite cold, so we drove back to our cabin in the car Kym generously lent us so we could attend the wedding the next morning.

So early on Saturday morning (like, the wedding was at 7am on the Geraldton foreshore) we went off to see my friend Anna get married. It was a wonderful wedding. Anna was so excited—after the vows and rings were exchanged, and the pronouncement, her whole face lit up, and she exclaimed “I'm married!” I was so glad I had the opportunity to be there.

After the wedding, Kym and her two children took us to Kalbarri National Park. Kalbarri is on the coast north of Geraldton, a drive of about an hour and a half. It was a very hot day, and the flies were unbelievable! But the scenery was certainly spectacular.

We had lunch in Kalbarri. While we were there, the (first, although we didn't know at the time that there'd be another) AFL grand final was on; we could hear the cheering from the pub across the road.

We drove back to Geraldton via the coastal road. Once again the scenery was magnificent, although we were feeling a bit sleepy at the end of a long, warm day.

Along the way we passed Hutt Lagoon. This salt lake appears pink because of some algae that grow there. Apparently the algae produce a commercially useful quantity of beta carotene, which is being harvested in part of the lake.

Arriving in Geraldton just before dusk, Kym took us up to a lookout above the town, to watch the sun set over the town and ocean. Afterwards I took my camera down to the beach for some low-light photography.

Dinner was leftovers in our cabin, and then an early night. Sunday was my birthday, much of which I spent on a coach travelling back to Perth. Before we left, though, we went to have a look at the lighthouse. This one (at 28°46'S) is almost exactly opposite the one in Byron Bay (at 28°39'S).

No comments: