Friday, January 4, 2008

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

I like holidays. I finally get to do some real reading for pleasure. So: on with the reviews.

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is an interesting (but quite heavy) tome. Every page has a review of one or two books, by people who loved the book. The thick volume is divided into sections, roughly: pre-1800, 19th century, 20th century.

I preferred browsing: flipping pages at random, reading a review or two, flipping on. My wife started with the title and author index, hunting for her favourites.

I'm not sure I'll ever read all 1001, but I did add quite a few titles to my to-read list. It's the kind of reference book I'd like to have if I'm ever stuck in a situation where I have a lot of free time and a library nearby. I'd work through it systematically, broadening my horizons and hopefully discovering some new favourites.

No comments: