Saturday, November 7, 2009

Wedding: Tim Helbig and Angela Catt

My cousin Tim got married last Saturday. I flew down to Sydney on Friday afternoon after school, via Brisbane. I flew back home on the direct flight on Sunday. I stayed with my family (mum, dad, sister) at Hotel Formule 1 at Sydney airport. (As in, the hotel is an easy ten minute walk from the terminal.)

The wedding was at Rockdale Uniting Church, officiated by my mum's cousin Sam. It was a beautiful service: positive, fun and God-centred. I was very impressed with their vows—no prompting! They had a lovely reading based on the apocryphal book of Sirach:

A loyal friend is like a safe shelter, find one, and you have found a treasure. Nothing else is as valuable; there is no way of putting a price on it. A loyal friend is like medicine that keeps you in good health. Only those who fear the Lord can find such a friend.

Never abandon an old friend; you will never find a new one who can take their place. Friendship is like wine; it gets better as it grows older.
Being independently wealthy or working for a living both can make life pleasant, but it is better to find a treasure.
A man’s name can be preserved if he has children or if he establishes a city, but finding wisdom is a better way. Owning livestock and orchards will make you famous, but it is better to have a wife you love.
Wine and music can make you happy, but a happy marriage is even better.


After some family photos in the church grounds, we hopped on a luxurious coach to take us to the reception venue, the St George Motor Boat Club. It was an interesting trip: the poor bus driver had to manoeuvre around a few traffic “calming” devices. While Tim and Angela were getting formal photos taken (out in the Marina, I think), the rest of us gathered for pre-dinner drinks. The view from the balcony, out over Georges River, was fabulous, with the sun slowly heading towards the horizon.


Inside the function room, I was seated at a table with my sister and cousins—well, my other cousins; obviously Tim's seat was out the front with Angela! They made a very grand entrance. Each couple came in to a different song, and they each did a little mime to match.

There followed a delicious dinner (yes, even mine; my only complaint was that there wasn't enough of it). Speeches over dessert, punctuated by many pilot jokes (Tim being a commercial airline pilot). After that, some dancing. The music got very loud at that point, so I went out to the balcony instead.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough time to really get to know Angela, but from what I saw and heard she seems a really lovely lady, with a good sense of humour. I pray that Tim and Angela have many more wonderful days ahead, filled like their wedding day was with laughter and the company of good friends.

2 comments:

Trish said...

Looking pretty spiffy there! I love the bow tie.

Ian said...

Thanks Trish! Yes, I recently decided to invest in a few nice bow ties. They've been a great investment.